As I type,

Atsede is vacuuming the family room. We're struggling a bit getting over the concept of, I didn't leave that out, so I shouldn't have to pick it up...but, what a human response!! I love it when we have typical child behavior!!

Kebrom is loving basketball, much to Paul's delight. Nana bought him a jersey he can wear, so hopefully no more sweater vests around the house. Kebrom is still very into karate kicks and wrestling. Hard lesson to learn that it's not always okay to do that.

Both kids have been circling the Target toy catalog, to the degree that 90% of the toys are circled in preparation for Christmas lists. We've tried to explain to Atsede, she will get 2 or 3 gifts, not everything she's circled. It's amazing to me, how children who came with NOTHING, have expectations. Paul tried to explain to Atsede the best part about Christmas is the giving. She looked at him like he was crazy, absolutely and positively crazy.

JoyLynn is enjoying tae kwon do, Y basketball. She still loves choir and dance class. Her reading is really coming along.

Brenna & Kyra just finished up speech class. They're counting the days til Thanksgiving & looking forward to the entire holiday season.

Geoffrey submitted his first college application. Progress! It was a strange feeling to help one child with a college app, and then buckle the smallest one into the carseat. When we're helping Kebrom with his college applications someday, this will probably flash back into my mind.

Paul & I continue to enjoy the children. I love seeing their progress, not just Atsede & Kebrom. We still have our issues. Let's face it, 5 months in our loving home does not undo the 7 months in the care center. It does not undo the grief of losing a parent, then the grief of being abandoned. Atsede, in particular, struggles with self-image. Her favorite cure-all is to be mean to JoyLynn (who handles it amazingly well, I might add), and to blame EVERYTHING on everyone else. I know it's a season. I know it will pass. And thankfully, they do not seem to choose the same day to be challenging.

And, thankfully, my older children still feel adoption was the greatest thing we've done. I've never heard them say ANYTHING remotely like self-pity. We asked them, recently, how they were feeling, were they doing okay. Response, 'Why?' When we told them the social worker said some kids get jealous, or feel left out...it was more of a 'you've got to be kidding me' response.

We are very blessed.
Times 6

Comments

  1. Kelcie told me the other day that she was more excited about Tebark than the adoption. Then she picked up the toy ads and showed me everything she wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, it's early and I'm tired and my mind is on our trip. Kelcie said she was more excited about Tebark than CHRISTMAS.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts