Not willing to take sibling advice

is something we're struggling with these days. 'Don't step on the deck. Mommy just stained it & the paint is wet,' said JoyLynn to Atsede. They'd left the door open & I could hear the conversation. I hollered through the open door, 'Atsede, don't step on the deck! You'll leave footprints & get it on your foot' Before the final words were out of my mouth, yes, you're completely right...she was marching inside, with JoyLynn telling the tale, and the wet foot as evidence.

Why will she not believe her sister? I know, you're thinking, it's a small thing, that's not a big thing. And you're right, if it was the only incidence. We see continued examples of lack of trust, or is it stubborness, or is it wanting to control...or is it just plain naughtiness??

The need to have 2 cookies if big brother has 2 cookies. Seemingly no understanding that he's 6'2" & 18, while she's a meager 40 lbs. The unwillingness to pick up anything she didn't leave out (one of my personal favorites). Yesterday, I asked her to pick up toys in the living room, got this long explanation complete with very accurate hand motions to compliment the verbage of how it wasn't her. 'Was it me?' I asked. She agreed it wasn't me, and grudgingly went to work picking up the toys.

And let me add, she's a fantastic worker once she gets going. She does a great job at sweeping a small area, picking up toys, washing the counter...and she enjoys doing it.

We want her to understand we always tell the truth. Family takes care of one another. Our family will not abandon her.

We're approaching the anniversary of the date they were left at the orphanage. I find myself thinking what their birthmom must have been going through a year ago at this time. It wasn't an easy trek, but a long difficult journey she had to plan through. A week from Saturday, the 16th of October.

I pulled up the photos yesterday, of devastated/blank faces, the day they were relinquished. Looking at those gave me more compassion for the angry child in my living room.

God, give me understanding and patience. And please, heal Atsede's broken heart. (today would be nice).

Popular Posts