Just sit with me

Reflecting over a difficult time period in life can be a challenge. There's the part of me that would like to wallow in self-pity. There's the part of me that still struggles with anger; it's not fair. God, are you listening, HELLO??? There's the part of me that knows God is faithful, and His promises are STILL true...even if they do not feel true, to me, at the moment.

Recently, I was reading a Reader's Digest article. It was written by a chaplain, serving in a military hospital, over in the desert somewhere. He wrote about the tragedies he sees. But, he writes about the hospital staff, who look to him for support. He mentioned Job's friends, who came and sat with him in the ashes.

As I was reading that, I paused, struck by a vivid mental imagine of a man, feeling so much in despair, he sat in the ashes of the fire. His friends, coming upon him, sitting in the ashes, JOINING him there. I imagine they were quiet. Probably right about then, Job didn't need to hear any lectures about God keeping his promises. About God answering every prayer. About everything working out for good. At that moment, Job was feeling despair. His friends gave him comfort by their presence, just by being there.

Just like the chaplain in the hospital gives strength to the staff, to give them courage to face the next tragedy. Hold their hands. Sit with them in the ashes.

I'm a 'fixer' by nature. Give me a problem, give me a need & my brain will be ticking away trying to recall the last place I saw that on sale, or a solution to that problem. To just sit, and be quiet, doesn't come easily to me. My family jokes (at least I think they're joking), when I sit still I fall asleep! But, I'm learning.

When my sweet friend called to tell me she & her husband are not able to get pregnant again, I cried, and just listened. No fixing. No adoption stories. Let me sit with you in the ashes.

Through the pain of the last year, beginning to see the growth.

Comments

Popular Posts