Dedication Day

Tomorrow, we've having Atsede & Kebrom dedicated at church. Somehow, it seems more significant to me, for an adopted child. Maybe it's simply there's a need deep inside of me, for my children to FEEL like they are my children, and this is one more milestone to mark. Maybe it's because I desperately desire for the body of Christ to embrace these children, to surround them with love, to watch them grow, just as they have my older children. On stage, we'll make quite a crowd, all the aunts, uncles, grandparents (my dad is here visiting too) & cousins. What a blessing to have this wonderful support network, all who loves these children dearly. These are the children God has chosen to bless me with.

Recently, I was staining the back deck. Alone time is something of a rarity in my life, but staining the deck was a great way to get it. As I was working, the movie 'Step Mom' (with Julie Roberts) popped into my head. There's that scene, where the mother by birth, dying of cancer is having a conversation with the soon to be step mom. The step mom is saying something along the lines of, 'I'm worried on their wedding day, I won't be enough, that they'll be wishing for you.' Mother by birth replies, 'I worry they won't be wishing for me.'

Ahh...somewhere across the ocean, is a birthmom, who probably thinks of Atsede & Kebrom every single day of her life. Here I am, often struggling with my insecurities with my relationship with Atsede, wondering if I'll ever be enough. For Kebrom, we seem to be enough, what he needs. Makes me sad, in a strange way, for his birthmom.

Adoption is a crazy journey. I HATE it when people say, 'what a great thing you're doing.' Have Atsede & Kebrom benefited? Of course, the care center wouldn't be a good place to grow up. But on the other hand, how have we been blessed, how has our world changed? In more ways than you could ever describe. THESE are the children God has chosen to bless me with.

Comments

Popular Posts