Jan 3, 2014

10 Reflections from the past week

1. Despite being the least mechanical person in the world, since the elliptical assembly was “6 Easy Steps”, I wasn’t too threatened.

2. And as darkness set in on New Year’s Day, in my left hand I held the stubborn piece that refused to “attach”, and in my right hand I held my trusty hammer.

3. Eventually it did “attach”, but as it did so, much to my (loud) aggravation and anger, two different pieces of the machine popped off.

4. An hour later (this is absolutely true)…in defeat I stuffed the two pieces in the bag (with the other left-over pieces which I have no idea where they belong), declared them unnecessary and told Katrina “it’s ready to go!”

5. We’ve now used the elliptical the past two days and it works fine…other than an awful clunking sound every time the right pedal is pressed down.

6. January 4th has loomed in my mind like a foreboding cloud. It has filled me with such anxiety I’ve awoken in a panic the last 3 nights…I lie in bed frozen, with my eyes wide open, my palms sweating and my heart palpitating…praying for God’s mercy and strength.

7. Because…Saturday is “weigh-in” for our cows…which means I will be expected to (quickly) back-up the trailer so the cows can be unloaded…while a long line of credible farmers watch and wait their turn.

8. I feel sick and am trembling even as I type this…but I’ve formed a strategy - I intend to arrive minutes before it closes (in hopes I’m the very last one)…and I’ve been pleading with Geoffrey to come with me for help and moral support (his reply? “No way!”)

9. A well-known fact is my shocking and amazing level of jogging ineptitude - which I’ve passed along to my older children. So I was surprised by Geoffrey’s New Year’s resolution, “This year I’m going to sign up for a ½ marathon.”

10. Then he added, “And then pull out at the last second.”

Now that’s a resolution I can embrace.

Comments

Popular Posts